Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A Ukrainian with a Fever

Last night our little guy came up from playing wii in the basement with bright pink cheeks. Uh-oh. I took his temp and sure enough, we had a live one. Virus that is, I think....at least a dose of Advil later and he was perky and he ate and slept well thru the night, thank the Lord......
except I have PTSD because....


Last time Z was here he got a fever. Now, normally I would not panic, being a seasoned mother at this point, but the mere fact that he may not have all his vaccines and that he had a HUGE fever, higher than any my other 3 has ever had, coupled with the fact that he isn't /wasn't "ours" made me a nervous wreck.

 Things always are worse at night when the sun goes down and you have a sick child on your hands and as B had taken the other three out to the baseball game that night, I was home ALONE with a Russian-speaking, sick, burning up, hot child and it was DARK.

Yeah, did I mention I was a nervous wreck?

 I concealed it well and administered 
(insert crazy medical terms here)
ok Jenny said I have to delete my funny thing I just wrote so I did....



 I did what any normal mother does, call everyone I knew whom I thought could give me phone assurance in a panic! I have some REALLY good people to call too. And so they reassured me and we got thru it somehow. (thanks really good people!)

So this time when Z got sick I was prepared for what I now like to call, a Ukrainian fever- (there's lots of types of fevers out there, undulating, Dengue, biphasic, FUO) ....so  I mean by that a fever that shoots up so high, so fast that your thermometer explodes. :-)
Thankfully he didn't do that this time. 

He just smoldered away on simmer. I have yet to figure out from  which exact, particular form of evil humors he suffers, (no dangling participles here), but he's still eating and drinking and so it can't be that bad. Right?  :-)

At least it meant I sat next to him at dinner and poked food at him like he was a 9 month old. Which he didn't really seem to mind. And it was homemade chicken noodle soup so it was almost medicinal, wouldn't you agree?

No pictures will be posted of our sick little man but here's a few fun ones from the end of the beach trip which seems a distant memory already.

And keep him and us in your thoughts and prayers as the countdown has begun to departure. Tuesday am, next week, Jan. 10th.

We are not planning on letting the kids go with us to the airport this time for many reasons, so if any CCA teachers are reading this be prepared for some soggy children next Tuesday getting out of our car......


Kung Fu Children on New Year's Eve





Heading home on NY day we did ONE Golden Arches visit  for him!


View from our lil' condo we found!




Dragging out our beach time farewells as long as possible in the gorgeous weather in FL on NY Day!


He likes to do the poke lip thing and make us laugh. I think it's to remind us when we look at the pictures he is sad/mad/unglad he is not here NOW with us always! 


The crew about to board the......

Governor Stone ship, one of the "last of it's kind" on the Gulf per the historical society......




This is the same McKD's trip, see same shirt.


One happy Burger Eating Kid! With a toy Alvin on a surfboard.....

No comments:

Post a Comment